Monday, November 28, 2005

No Day But Today

RENT
Critics be damned!! This past weeekend I finally saw RENT in the theatres and I was pleased beyond belief. Many movie critics decided to pan the movie version saying it lacked the style and emotional impact of the Tony-award winning Broadway musical. I must say that I disagree with each and every one of them. I believe that comparing the movie to the musical is like comparing apples to oranges. They are two totally different formats, and because of that format difference, the movie can't help but be different from the musical. In the movie, more was able to be accomplished in the telling of the story especially through cinematography. The movie in turn increases the audience for the story of RENT, many more people now can experience it's magic and emotion. From the opening sequence until the closing credits, I had goose-bumps. And as is typical with me, I cried through most of it. The movie, in my opinion, increased the emotional impact. I plan on seeing it again and again while in theatres, and most definitely on my "must buy" list when it's finally released on DVD. Truly, when watching this film, there is "no day but today"!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home