Friday, September 30, 2005

Banned Book Week


You know, this week has come and gone, and I'd almost forgotten about it. I'm just a bad librarian. Yes, I am a librarian. In fact I am a liberal librarian. Is there any other kind you ask, unfortunately yes, our First Lady is a librarian is she not? I do not believe in filtering, and despise censorship in any form. So why I forgot about Banned Book Week I shall never know. The American Library Association, of which I am a proud member, has posted the 100 most banned books, a list which upon gazing I find quite illuminating. I myself have read several books on this list (over 10%):

3. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
6. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
7. Harry Potter (series) by J.K. Rowling
22. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
28. The New Joy of Gay Sexby Charles Siverstein
37. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
41. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
43. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
44. The Pigman by Paul Zindel
47. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
56. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

I challenge you! Read a Banned Book Today!!

1 Comments:

At October 04, 2005 9:09 AM, Blogger Fire-Eyes said...

I have read almost all of those babe. LOL...how is the new Neil book. I will have to check that one out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home